Sunday, July 13, 2008

Weekend Work.

Over the weekend in what little time I had, I managed to put the intake into the car. If the removal was not altogether that difficult, the removal, was pretty much the same. In general terms you want to put in the intake with the front radiator hose first. I replaced the hose, and the hose clamps while I was in there, as I do not want to touch this intake in a long time. The intake gaskets are also fairly straight forward, and are keyed so that they stay in place.
After the intake was in, I put in all the throttle linkage, the transmission vacuum, and the transmission linkage, and sealed the ports that used to be used for the two vacuum switches at the front passenger side of the intake manifold. I still have the port for the mechanical Air injection system to plug, but I am going to use a 1/2" think piece of aluminum there. It should be thick enough to hold the refrigerant pressure.



I took this picture from the driver's side of the car. You can see the repainted throttle linkage parts, the new bolts, and the "reconditioned" CIS housing. I chose to keep the housing, as I want to keep the gigantic air cleaner that goes on top of it. You can also see the hole that the secondary air injection valve used, and how it heats up. Mine was so stuck, that it wouldn't budege, even after repeated soaking in liquid wrench, followed by a freezing/boiling routine.

This picture shows the Air temp sensor on the CIS housing, as well, as the coolant level temperature sensor on the fron right of the intake manifold. The 2 bolts that seal what used to be the vacuum switches at the front left of the intake manifold are m10-1.0 metric bolts. I have a nice piece of aluminum stock that I will shape to fit in the hole left by the air valve at the front of the intake. I also chose to keep the air distributor, and will be using some hoses to connect them to the new Air valve that you can see in the bracket that used to hold the warm up governor. I still have some more work to do in the car after all is said and done, specially with the hydraulic pump, and the brake booster. Those will also be taken out, cleaned, and painted.


This picture is taken from the passenger's side. Here you can see the IAC on the side of the housing, how it does not interfere with the throttle linkage, and yet it will fit under the air cleaner housing. I will take out the now superfluos vacuum switches in the firewall to make room for the fuel pressure regulator. Notice the old safety cutoff cable that used to go to the top of the CIS housing. I am going to take that out, and clean up the cabling a bit. I never liked the solution to the cutoff, as if the car flipped, the linkage would stay open, and the cutoff never kicked in.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Super clean. Looks so much better than the monstrosity that Mr. Benz and Mr. Bosch cooked up. Can't wait to start on my wife's 380SL (currently in the shop for a !@#$ fuel distributor). Done with CIS.