Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Fuel rails, and old Air Slide Valve cover

When I took my intake manifold apart, one of the things that needed to be replaced, and that prompted me to go the megasquirt route was the air slide valve. If you can get one they are about 200 dollars, not too bad, but you have absolutely no control or coordination with the rest of the injection system. Unfortunately the air slide valve has a prong that extends into the intake manifold, at the coolant passage, and this needed to be dealt with. I could have just left the old air slide there, but it would not look good, and it would be in the way of the new air hoses, and the fuel hose joining the 2 fuel rails, so....
I bought a piece of 6060 aluminum stock, approx 1/2" thick, 3" long, and 1.5" wide, and proceeded to cut it to shape. I could have just left the square piece, but wanted it to resemble something that was not just drilled, so out comes the hacksaw.... If you have ever worked with 6060, this was a long tedious process. It is hard for aluminum, and after about 2 hours, I had a rough diamond shape piece.
I then proceeded to round up the edges, drill the proper holes, and recess them a bit, and now it should make an adequate cover for the hole. For the next car, I will do the same, and use this piece to put in the CLT, as no other mods need to be made on the Intake manifold (I previously had a 3/8NPT thread tapped out in the old thermo time switch position).
I also began the cutting of the aluminum stock for the fuel rails. By this time I was rather tired, so I have just cut one side. I plan on tapping the end of them for 3/8NPT, and using adaptors to AN6 all over.
Will post pictures once I am done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post!! Thanks for sharing.. :D