Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Heating Hoses

When I took the intake manifold off of the car, I found that the return hose for the heating system was routed underneath the intake manifold, and as the hoses looked rather ratty, I decided to replace the rubber hoses, and refinish the metal pipe that joins them, and runs the length of the passenger cilinder bank.
The hose against the firewall was routed inside the firewall itself. After taking off the little access cover to the vent system, inside the engine, I found that it was not going to be that easy... It ends up being that I had to remove the vent cover on the passenger side, and what is more, I had to drill out the fastener holding the hose in place, as it was rather rusted. I was going to replace them anyway with new hardware, but it took a bit of time.
After replacing the back hose, I moved over to the front hose. This was fairly easy, as it is only a 4" hose, with two clamps.
In preparation for the intake manifold installation tomorrow, I also cleaned the mating surfaces, and cleaned out the bolt holes. Now all that is left is to assemble the intake tomorrow, with all of its ancillary components.
This would be the first step towards the ultimate goal of replacing the CIS system. The following step is the fabrication of the fuel rails, and all the connections. I have already bought all the parts from Jegs and will start with that part of the project next week. I will post more pics of the Intake Manifold in the car, and all the linkages connected.

No comments: