Friday, July 4, 2008

Pictures

I have taken some pictures of the work so far. I will do some work today before the fireworks, and have it posted Monday.



This is the engine block, after 2 days of cleaning, scraping, taking out a small nest, and finally finishing with heat resistant paint. Only thing is that it needs about 7 days to fully cure. I also covered the intake mating surfaces on the heads to prevent paint from getting into the valves, as that would generally be a bad thing.









This is the finished CIS housing. I have taken off all moving parts, drilled a hole on the side for the IAT, and made sure that I would be able to put the air cleaner housing on with the connectors. I also stripped it , and painted it with a coat of Eastwood detail gray. I replaced the bolts with yellow zinc plated bolts that I got from Wurth USA. They do look very good.













This is another view of the CIS housing showing the blocked off fuel distributor hole, and all innards removed. You can also see the IAT on the right side of the housing. I drilled and tapped it there after considering other alternate sections, but here I will be able to run the cables in an easy fashion, as I can bundle them with the Idle control valve, and the passenger side injectors.









This is the finished intake manifold seen from the rear (firewall side) I spent about 20 hours cleaning the intake manifold, only to find that the underlying aluminium cast was all spotted and looked terrible. In comes Eastwood, it is a bit brighter than cast aluminum, but it does look good. I also took the accelerator linkage and took it all apart, cleaned, sanded the 2 rods that make it all work, oiled, and reassembled it. It now looks much better, and is nice and smooth. Before it took quite a bit of strength to move it. I also cleaned the lower intake manifold, although I did not paint it.




This is a better look of the linkage. I reused all the parts that came with it, and it is a credit to MB engineering that after 30 years of use, and abuse, it only needed a quick shot of Eastwood black paint, and some minor sanding. The parts still looked almost like new, and the only change is the color, as the original was the MB golden cad, that is very difficult, and expensive to replicate today.... Anyway the black is easy to refinish, or even to strip. Notice also the intake manifold color. This section was the worst, as it was heavily stained, and no matter what I tried, I could not get the stains out... Even tried a mild acid.





This is a Idle control Housing that DIY Autotune sells. I also bought a 1992 Idle control valve for a Jeep 4.0 liter engine. I reused the bracket where the Warm Up Governor. As this is part of the CIS system, it will no longer be needed. The bolts on the left side of the housing were drilled and taped to M6 specs, as there is enough metal there not to interfere, or puncture the rest of the housing. Originally it comes with holes in the back of the housing, but due to the location, it would have been inconvenient. Now what I need to do is to find the right combination of hoses in between the CIS housing and the Idle control housing, and from the Idle control housing to the Air distributor (that I am going to keep, and just block off the port for the cold start injector).



In this pic, you can see the new lower intake manifold gaskets, as well as the cleaned ports for the secondary air injection, and the vacuum that is used by the transmission to shift. These were all blocked off by a layer of caked black goo, coming from the EGR that was stuck in open. Most of the time spent was cleaning the intake ports as they had about 3/4" of caked on soot... Making them much smaller, and blocking off all possible vacuum ports. Also when working with different kinds of metal, remember to put anti-seize on your bolts if you ever want to take them out without major problems.











No comments: