Friday, August 29, 2008

New Car, Work done in July, August

I have been a bit remiss on posting new items, but, I have been busy working on the fuel rails drilling the holes, and polishing them, and some other miscellaneous items... Also trying to try the injectors, I pulled one off, and the hat, and spacer fell into the hole... So, not wanting a disastrous valve-piston contact, I took the intake manifold off, and replaced the gaskets... again. That was a minor set back. I also put the fuel rails and the passenger side one, fit perfectly, and you can remove the valve cover without removing the fuel rail... On the driver side due to the accelerator linkage it is rather tight, so this weekend I will take the driver's side fuel rail off, and have it ground down a bit so that there is at least some distance between it and the valve cover.

I also found out that the fuel lines use an M14 x1.5 tap, and will be making some adaptors with 1" square aluminum stock. As the fuel line needs to "stop" against something (otherwise it will never seal) I am planning on using a 2" long piece, on one side Will use the M14 tap (use a 1/2" drill bit) and drill to a 3/4" depth. On the other side I will drill for the 3/8NPT tap, and use a depth of 1"... that leaves me with a 1/4" shoulder that I can drill with a smaller 3/8" (8mm) hole, and this will provide the "seal" for the fuel line.



I still have lots of work cut out for me, and with the summer almost ending I will take some time this weekend to work and at least complete the fuel lines, and pressure test the system. I have the CIS testing equipment that goes all the way up to 100PSI, but with modern injectors you should never exceed 50.

We have also bought a 1987 W124 from an older gentleman's family, and after inspecting it, and taking it for a ride, it was in exceptional shape. here are some pics of the car:



So far we have replaced both headlight surroundings, buffed out the car (the white paint was chalky) and cleaned the interior. I have never seen my wife so excited with a car, and it is on the road, so we have been enjoying it. I have found some minor things that need attention, and have already bought the parts. I have ordered new rotors, pads, pad sensors, and a new heater valve ($95, and not $650 like some other W107 ones... I have the mechanical one, thanks the production year.. :-) ) So, there has been a lot of car work... Just not enough on the SLC!.

No comments: